Here come the girls
It’s not news that the business class seats of major airlines are increasingly being filled by women in power suits clutching Blackberrys, iPhones & laptops as their hand luggage. Men may still do the lion’s share of business travel, but the number of women travelling for business is fast increasing. Leading players in the business travel industry and human resource personnel in multi-national companies now recognise that these female business travellers have different needs and concerns to their male counterparts – do you?
Whether women are travelling domestically or abroad, it’s important that their concerns and needs are addressed and met by their employers, business partners and hosts. Chief among these concerns are health and safety.
• Safety – Safety is a major concern for all business travellers, but it is an even greater concern for female travellers, especially those travelling internationally on assignments. It’s important to ensure that the accommodation you choose for your female employees is safe. This is especially true in developing countries where women may not commonly travel alone, and security and policing may not be as stringent as it is in the Western world.
• Health – It’s well-known that, in general, women are more concerned about their diet and health than men. Access to good food and exercise facilities are important factors to consider when you are sending female employees on assignment. Exercise and nutrition are not only important to women fighting to maintain and improve their figures, they are also important to maintaining good general and mental health. An absence of facilities for maintaining health and well-being could lead to poor general health, which in turn could compromise work performance.
How do serviced apartments meet the needs of female travellers?
Serviced apartments offer a safe and secure environment, and address the particular safety and health needs of female guests in a number of ways
1. Like hotels, serviced apartments have 24-hour security, concierge and reception services.
2. Traditional keys have been replaced with key-cards which are programmed specifically for each guest. These cards enhance safety and security as lost or stolen cards can easily be cancelled to ensure that nobody can gain unauthorised entry into an apartment. In addition, as the cards don’t bear the guest’s name or apartment number, even if the card is not cancelled, the apartment for which it was programmed is not apparent.
3. Most serviced apartments are strategically located near business districts, transport links, and places of interest such as tourist spots and shopping districts. This makes moving around the city easy and safe for female business travellers.
4. When it comes to health, many serviced apartments have fitness and wellness centres that offer yoga, pilates, and women friendly fitness equipment and weights.
5. One of the major advantages that serviced apartments offer over hotels is the kitchen facilities they have. It’s true that the kitchen is no longer exclusively a female domain, but, as diet and nutrition are a key concern for most women, the ability to prepare and cook food is a considerable bonus when travelling on business. This is especially true for those on special diets, those looking to maintain their figures, or those looking to lose weight.
6. Serviced apartment units offer more space and privacy than hotels. For women with children, serviced apartments even offer the opportunity to travel with family in tow.
7. Serviced apartments have all the comforts and facilities of a home. This helps female business travellers to maintain a sense of normality whilst working away from home.
As the world of business becomes less and less gender specific, serviced apartments can provide accommodation that answers the growing needs of women business travellers. Indeed, it’s a woman’s world.